buy X1

Uwe Brauer-2

Hi

I have the opportunity to buy a thinkpad X1 (not sure which generation
but for sure not the one with the awful keyboard layout). Any things I
should consider concerning the hardware compatibility with linux, such
as the graphic card? Anybody has installed Ubuntu on this machine

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

Re: buy X1

Gael
Hi,

If it's the awful keyboard layout, it should be the 2nd gen. I have one running exclusively Linux since 3 years now. I have mainly used Debian and Fedora distribs.
The only things to know is that you need to fully upgrade firmwares, notably the keyboard one to get the OLED part working.
Once upgraded,  everything is okay out of the box.

Enjoy !

--
Gael

Re: buy X1

Peter Beck-2
On 06/20/2017 09:50 PM, Gael wrote:
> If it's the awful keyboard layout, it should be the 2nd gen. I have one running exclusively Linux since 3 years now. I have mainly used Debian and Fedora distribs.
> The only things to know is that you need to fully upgrade firmwares, notably the keyboard one to get the OLED part working.

I have a 2nd generation and a 4th generation model, both running Debian
unstable from the beginning never had any issues.

I dont'k now if the fingerprint reader on the 4th gen is working, never
tested (for the 2nd gen - worked flawlessy). For wireless you need to
install nonfree firmware.

At the moment the trackball on my 4th gen is driving me crazy as it
doesn't behave the way it should. not sure if this is software or
hardware related. Battery life and weight is really great. I love the
display resolution on the 4th gen also.

What I dislike on these devices is the missing ethernet port. Personally
I am thinking about to switch to a T460s just because there is an
ethernet port. other than that - great device (if not the on with the
crazy keyboard touch bar).

Re: buy X1

Bjørn Mork
Peter Beck <[hidden email]> writes:

> What I dislike on these devices is the missing ethernet port. Personally
> I am thinking about to switch to a T460s just because there is an
> ethernet port. other than that - great device (if not the on with the
> crazy keyboard touch bar).

I have a 4th gen as well, and agree 100% on the ethernet port. The damn
thing has PCIe Intel ethernet built-in, but needs a proprietary dongle
just for the port.  How stupid is that?  The only thing they could
possibly gain is a millimeter or two of thickness.  Who, except
obviously the market droids, cares about that?  And even if you do,
other vendors like Sony and HP have found smart solutions with different
variants of "expandable" RJ45 ports.  I want the builtin RJ45 port back,
please!

The keyboard is also lousy compared to the X301 I had before. But it is
still better than most other current laptops, so I can live with that.

And like you said:  Battery life and screen resolution are really good,
and of course way better than the X301.

Bjørn

Re: buy X1

Uwe Brauer-2
>>> "Peter" == Peter Beck <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi thanks for the fast reply

    > On 06/20/2017 09:50 PM, Gael wrote:
    >> If it's the awful keyboard layout, it should be the 2nd gen. I have
    >> one running exclusively Linux since 3 years now. I have mainly used
    >> Debian and Fedora distribs.
    >> The only things to know is that you need to fully upgrade firmwares,
    >> notably the keyboard one to get the OLED part working.

    > I have a 2nd generation and a 4th generation model, both running Debian
    > unstable from the beginning never had any issues.

Do the f1 to f12 keys work for you (I mean whithout pressing fn)?

    > I dont'k now if the fingerprint reader on the 4th gen is working, never
    > tested (for the 2nd gen - worked flawlessy). For wireless you need to
    > install nonfree firmware.

    > At the moment the trackball on my 4th gen is driving me crazy as it
    > doesn't behave the way it should. not sure if this is software or

How mean the read small knob (which is on my X200s) or the large
trackpad?

    > hardware related. Battery life and weight is really great. I love the
    > display resolution on the 4th gen also.

    > What I dislike on these devices is the missing ethernet port.

Oops that is important at work my wirless network is slow and very much
restricted. I presume I have to use a USB port adapter?

How many usb ports does the Thinkpad posses?

Thanks

Uwe

Re: buy X1

Peter Beck-2
On 06/20/2017 11:10 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hi thanks for the fast reply
>

> Do the f1 to f12 keys work for you (I mean whithout pressing fn)?

As far as I can tell - yes, everything shiny. Brightness, Volume, even
Nautilus starts when pressing F12.

> How mean the read small knob (which is on my X200s) or the large
> trackpad?

the small red knob. I don't like touchpads.

> Oops that is important at work my wirless network is slow and very much
> restricted. I presume I have to use a USB port adapter?

The device is usually delivered with an ethernet adapter. On my older
device it was just an USB-adapter, on the 4th gen is some proprietary
port (?!) as Bjorn already wrote.

> How many usb ports does the Thinkpad posses?

My 4th gen has 3 USB ports. If ethernet would be just USB, then we could
have 4 ports...if...but it sadly isn't.
The older X1 I have has just 2 USB ports.

And what I forgot: the 4th gen has a micro sd reader, but it's stupidly
placed on the rear behind the display. On the older device the Card
reader was on the side and accessible without going crazy. But I don't
use it, so I don't really care.

Re: buy X1

Gijs Hillenius
On 20 Jun 2017, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have the opportunity to buy a thinkpad X1 (not sure which generation
> but for sure not the one with the awful keyboard layout). Any things I
> should consider concerning the hardware compatibility with linux, such
> as the graphic card? Anybody has installed Ubuntu on this machine

I got the 2017 model, which runs Debian unstable. As far as I can tell,
everything works out of the box. Very happy with it.

No complaints about the keyboard. And it has a proper row of F1-F12 keys
(which dual-function in combination with the Fn key).

There are tree keys that I don't know what they're supposed to do: the
F9 "Flower", the F12 five-pointed star and there is a key with a
swinging scissor/PrSc key.