considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Brad Langhorst
I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.

Anybody have a relevant story?

Brad

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott
Brad Langhorst wrote:
> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
>
> Anybody have a relevant story?

I suspect it may be to soon to tell.  While Lenovo now owns the company,
there's still a lot of IBM engineering in the PC division products.

We'll find out when there's significant Lenovo engineering in the computers.
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Fred bobby
In reply to this post by Brad Langhorst
Same than T41p, T42p ...

Excellent laptop.
On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:57 AM, Brad Langhorst wrote:

> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
>
> Anybody have a relevant story?
>
> Brad
>
> --
> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

ammulder
At work, we've gotten 2 T43p's in the last month or so.  The only
problem we've had so far is that they typically ship from overseas
(China?) and have been suffering customs delays of 1-2 weeks when they
hit the US (on top of the build delay of 2 weeks or so).  Supposedly
that problem is fixed now.

I guess I will mention that on a 14" T43p, when we first got it, the
hard-drive cover panel on the right-hand side between the optical
drive and the front of the machine didn't blend as smoothly with the
surrounding panels as was the case for the last 14" T42p we had.
After unscrewing it and pushing it in and screwing it back up again,
it's better, but the top edge of the right-hand side is still not
exactly flush where it transitions from the top piece surrounding the
keyboard to the palm rest nub to the hard drive cover panel (granted,
this is minor and probably doesn't make a lot of sense without a
picture).

Oh, and also it ships with this lame Windows sticker on the palm rest.  :)

Aaron

On 12/4/05, Bobby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same than T41p, T42p ...
>
> Excellent laptop.
> On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:57 AM, Brad Langhorst wrote:
>
> > I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> > but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
> >
> > Anybody have a relevant story?
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > --
> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
>
> --
> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
>
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Michael Ott
In reply to this post by Brad Langhorst
Hello Brad!

> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
I have an R51 and now a T43. This is also an Levono product. I had
problems with the T43 but I cannot say if it is a quality problem. But
the repair service is the same and the change me everything quick.

My R51 and my T43 made in China. And I believe that they are made in the
same company building. I think that they have the same quality
standards because the want to buy many Thinkpads. And one quality deficit
and the plan is distroyed.

> Anybody have a relevant story?

CU        
         
  Michael  
         
--                                                      
           Michael Ott, e-mail: [hidden email], www.zolnott.de          
I am registered as user #275453 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Jeffrey L. Taylor-5
In reply to this post by Brad Langhorst
Quoting Brad Langhorst <[hidden email]>:
> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
>
> Anybody have a relevant story?
>
> Brad
>

My pre-Lenovo T41 was made in China.

HTH,
  Jeffrey
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

> Quoting Brad Langhorst <[hidden email]>:
>> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
>> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
>>
>> Anybody have a relevant story?
>>
>> Brad
>>
>
> My pre-Lenovo T41 was made in China.

My R31 was made in the Philipines and my T30 work computer was made in
Mexico.
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
axp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

axp
On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:24:19PM -0500, James Knott wrote:

> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > Quoting Brad Langhorst <[hidden email]>:
> >> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> >> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
> >>
> >> Anybody have a relevant story?
> >>
> >> Brad
> >>
> >
> > My pre-Lenovo T41 was made in China.
>
> My R31 was made in the Philipines and my T30 work computer was made in
> Mexico.
AFIAK lenovo did produce the thinkpad's for IBM, before they bought the
PC-section of IBM. I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's making
their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese companies who
do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)

HTH
Ferdinand
 

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

perley
Ferdinand Haselbacher (jr.) wrote:

>
>I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's making
>their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese companies who
>do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)
>  
>
Didn't Acer start out as an outsource manufacturer (one client being IBM)?
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Paul R Streitman
In reply to this post by axp
FWIW, I bought a t43p for my wife through the IBM employee purchase program
last week.  I have been using company-issued thinkpads for many years and
this one looks and feels (except for the fingerprint reader) just like the
t42p that I am currently using which in turn looks/feels just like my 'old'
t41p that I am about to set up for a co-worker.  We have lots of those t41p
thinkpads deployed in our development shop and they have been at least as
good as the previous models we have had (going all the way back to 750s...)

                                                          Paul
z/OS core components development
Internet: [hidden email]

[hidden email] wrote on 12/08/2005 06:17:35 AM:

> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:24:19PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> > Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > > Quoting Brad Langhorst <[hidden email]>:
> > >> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
> > >> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
> > >>
> > >> Anybody have a relevant story?
> > >>
> > >> Brad
> > >>
> > >
> > > My pre-Lenovo T41 was made in China.
> >
> > My R31 was made in the Philipines and my T30 work computer was made in
> > Mexico.
> AFIAK lenovo did produce the thinkpad's for IBM, before they bought the
> PC-section of IBM. I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's
making
> their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese companies
who
> do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)
>
> HTH
> Ferdinand
>
> [attachment "attq7bhi.dat" deleted by Paul R Streitman/Poughkeepsie/IBM]

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Michelle Klein-Hass
In reply to this post by axp
On Thursday 08 December 2005 03:17 am, Ferdinand Haselbacher (jr.) wrote:

> AFIAK lenovo did produce the thinkpad's for IBM, before they bought the
> PC-section of IBM. I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's
> making their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese
> companies who do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)

And you know what's ironic? The Dell lappies, particularly the low-end
Inspirons, SUCK. They might be made in Round Rock, TX still (I wouldn't lay
money on that, though) but they are flimsy and easily breakable. Every single
Inspiron lappie that is being used at my University has one thing or another
wrong with it. Loose ports, broken ports, card cages that are dead, audio
circuitry that has gone to its Eternal Reward, etc.

Now if they had gone with R-series ThinkPads instead, they could have had
something that could take all the abuse that professors, students and library
staff could heap on them. But would they spend the weensiest extra money on
those rather than the cheap-ass Dells? Nope. So giving a presentation is a
freaking nightmare.

I HATE Dell.
Hate, hate, hate.
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273
Brought to you by Linux, KDE and KMail...try it, you'll like it!
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott
In reply to this post by axp
Ferdinand Haselbacher (jr.) wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:24:19PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
>>> Quoting Brad Langhorst <[hidden email]>:
>>>> I'm about ready to upgrade my t40...
>>>> but I'm worried about the build quality of the new t43p.
>>>>
>>>> Anybody have a relevant story?
>>>>
>>>> Brad
>>>>
>>> My pre-Lenovo T41 was made in China.
>> My R31 was made in the Philipines and my T30 work computer was made in
>> Mexico.
> AFIAK lenovo did produce the thinkpad's for IBM, before they bought the
> PC-section of IBM. I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's making
> their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese companies who
> do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)

Hopefully, they'll maintain the ThinkPad quality.  Of course, there's
nothing to stop them from making a cheaper line, under another name.
Over the years, I have used Compaq, Dell, Toshiba and others, and
there's nothing that's as good as a ThinkPad.  Incidentally, Compaqs
have a lot of hard drives failing lately.  I get to hear about all the
problems with them at work.


--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott
In reply to this post by perley
Don Perley wrote:

> Ferdinand Haselbacher (jr.) wrote:
>
>>
>> I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's making
>> their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese
>> companies who
>> do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)
>>  
>>
> Didn't Acer start out as an outsource manufacturer (one client being IBM)?

Yep and they produced the horrible "i" series, which is one ThinkPad
line I didn't want to have anything to do with.  There have been a
couple of examples when IBM tried to go down market and failed.  Anyone
remember "ValuePoint" (IIRC), which were junk desktop systems?
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Alejandro Bonilla Beeche
James Knott wrote:

>Don Perley wrote:
>  
>
>>Ferdinand Haselbacher (jr.) wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>I don't really now one PC brand (maybe DELL) who's making
>>>their hardware all on their own. there are imho 3 big chinese
>>>companies who
>>>do the hardware for the big ones (HPQ, Acer, ....IBM,....)
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>Didn't Acer start out as an outsource manufacturer (one client being IBM)?
>>    
>>
>
>Yep and they produced the horrible "i" series, which is one ThinkPad
>line I didn't want to have anything to do with.  There have been a
>couple of examples when IBM tried to go down market and failed.  Anyone
>remember "ValuePoint" (IIRC), which were junk desktop systems?
>  
>
I think the subject of this email is not really valid. WoW! now IBM is
not doing anything and Lenovo is doing everything? Of coure not. What
would have happend to all PC IBM Employees? Everything simply moved
under the management of Lenovo but all the developers, creators and
people behind the PC's and ThinkPads are still there.

I wouldn't worry at all, is the same people. "Same thing, different
name" and not even cause it still says IBM. ;-)

 .Alejandro
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Bret Comstock Waldow
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:

> I wouldn't worry at all, is the same people. "Same thing, different
> name" and not even cause it still says IBM. ;-)

I have read that IBM lost money on Thinkpad sales.  Unless Lenovo has a death
wish, they will be making changes.

Perhaps they are smarter business people than IBM, perhaps they have supplies
and parts available at better prices than IBM for the sam quality.

On the other hand, perhaps they think they are smarter business people, or
that the quality of their supplies is good enough for the price, but low
enough that they won't lose money on selling Thinkpads.

We don't know what they will do, nor how well they will do it.

But I will suggest that if it's actually the same, Lenovo will go out of
business.  I think only time will tell.

Cheers,
Bret

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Richard Neill


Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:
>
>
>>I wouldn't worry at all, is the same people. "Same thing, different
>>name" and not even cause it still says IBM. ;-)
>
>
> I have read that IBM lost money on Thinkpad sales.  Unless Lenovo has a death
> wish, they will be making changes.
>
> Perhaps they are smarter business people than IBM, perhaps they have supplies
> and parts available at better prices than IBM for the sam quality.
>
> On the other hand, perhaps they think they are smarter business people, or
> that the quality of their supplies is good enough for the price, but low
> enough that they won't lose money on selling Thinkpads.
>
> We don't know what they will do, nor how well they will do it.
>
> But I will suggest that if it's actually the same, Lenovo will go out of
> business.  I think only time will tell.

I do hope that this means that, at least for the top end, the price will
go up, and the quality will get even better. It's still true that
Thinkpads are the best laptops that exist, but they aren't as far ahead
of the competition as they were. Some of the budget models aren't
particularly special.

It used to be the case that thinkpads were very much like Apple are
(considered to be) now: i.e absolutely the best machine that one could
buy, and considered as such. Not that there is anything wrong with the
newer machines, but I get the feeling they aren't made with as much
"love" as the older ones. For one example, the 760 came with an offer of
a free custom-engraved nameplate.


Richard

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Macskasi Csaba
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:32:47 +0100, Richard Neill <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> I do hope that this means that, at least for the top end, the price will  
> go up, and the quality will get even better. It's still true that  
> Thinkpads are the best laptops that exist, but they aren't as far ahead  
> of the competition as they were. Some of the budget models aren't  
> particularly special.
I bought a "low-end" R50e one month ago. (1,8ghz Pent.M, 1gig ram...)
I was afraid because of the label "manufactured by Lenovo for IBM", but it  
is still as good as any other top thinkpad. The design and the quality is  
still bullet proof (I carry it always in my backpack, a very hostile  
environment ;-)
The only thing it is missing is the rubber surface which an older thinkpad  
had. That was great...
At least for now the quality of thinkpads has not changed anything...

Regards,
Csaba

>
> It used to be the case that thinkpads were very much like Apple are  
> (considered to be) now: i.e absolutely the best machine that one could  
> buy, and considered as such. Not that there is anything wrong with the  
> newer machines, but I get the feeling they aren't made with as much  
> "love" as the older ones. For one example, the 760 came with an offer of  
> a free custom-engraved nameplate.
>
>
> Richard
>



--
Macskassy Csaba
[hidden email]
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott
In reply to this post by Bret Comstock Waldow
Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't worry at all, is the same people. "Same thing, different
>> name" and not even cause it still says IBM. ;-)
>
> I have read that IBM lost money on Thinkpad sales.  Unless Lenovo has a death
> wish, they will be making changes.
>
> Perhaps they are smarter business people than IBM, perhaps they have supplies
> and parts available at better prices than IBM for the sam quality.
>
> On the other hand, perhaps they think they are smarter business people, or
> that the quality of their supplies is good enough for the price, but low
> enough that they won't lose money on selling Thinkpads.
>
> We don't know what they will do, nor how well they will do it.
>
> But I will suggest that if it's actually the same, Lenovo will go out of
> business.  I think only time will tell.

One thing to bear in mind, is that IBM is really not a mass marketer.
They've tended to be high end, low volume, reliable systems, something
that's hard to sell in the consumer market.  Lenovo may not have the
same issues.
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

James Knott
In reply to this post by Macskasi Csaba
Macskassy Csaba wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:32:47 +0100, Richard Neill
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I do hope that this means that, at least for the top end, the price
>> will  go up, and the quality will get even better. It's still true
>> that  Thinkpads are the best laptops that exist, but they aren't as
>> far ahead  of the competition as they were. Some of the budget models
>> aren't  particularly special.
> I bought a "low-end" R50e one month ago. (1,8ghz Pent.M, 1gig ram...)
> I was afraid because of the label "manufactured by Lenovo for IBM", but
> it  is still as good as any other top thinkpad. The design and the
> quality is  still bullet proof (I carry it always in my backpack, a very
> hostile  environment ;-)
> The only thing it is missing is the rubber surface which an older
> thinkpad  had. That was great...
> At least for now the quality of thinkpads has not changed anything...
>
> Regards,
> Csaba
>>
>> It used to be the case that thinkpads were very much like Apple are
>> (considered to be) now: i.e absolutely the best machine that one
>> could  buy, and considered as such. Not that there is anything wrong
>> with the  newer machines, but I get the feeling they aren't made with
>> as much  "love" as the older ones. For one example, the 760 came with
>> an offer of  a free custom-engraved nameplate.


At work yesterday, they were selling some refurbished, off lease
ThinkPads.  They had an R31, similar to the one I own, for $500 (CDN)
Mine cost a lot more than that when I bought it almost new, about 3.5
years ago.
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: considering t43p... is the.. low-end HP/Compaq OK

bhaskins
While we are at it:
Has anyone on the list had any experience with those extreme low end
Hp, Compaq, Toshibia, Etc boxes that are often sold as those door-buster
specials
for under $400 after rebate?
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
12