how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

Tom Roche

summary: W510 shipped with Vista, vendor upgraded to W7, to be dualbooted. How to preserve the rescue partition, or at least its functionality, JIC something goes wrong?

details:

I'm currently evaluating a TP W510 (product ID=4389UN5) which my
school has on closeout. It shipped with Vista which the school
upgraded to W7 Enterprise. I will probably have occasional use for W7,
but mostly want this box to run linux (specifically LMDE, a debian
variant). That will require repartitioning, which makes me anxious to
preserve the hidden partition that Rescue and Recovery uses, and which
(IIRC) contains startup ThinkVantage utilities. (When repartitioning I
will attempt to keep partition=diags, but there are numerous reports
online of folks trying and failing to do this.) Hence I mostly wanted
to create the Product Recovery DVD per ThinkWiki

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Pre-Installation_steps#Rescue_and_Recovery_Media

prior to installing linux. Like the OP on this thread

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/I-updated-my-T61-from-VISTA-to-win-7-64-bit-now-thinpad-recovery/td-p/597059

I also was unable to install R&R 4.5, but was able to install R&R
4.31. I then ran ThinkVantage System Update, which applied fixes to
R&R but did not up-version it. After defrag, etc, I ran R&R and hit
button="Launch advanced Rescue and Recovery", but only saw an option
(besides the ones for creating/restoring system backups) to
"Create Rescue Media", which only creates the first recovery CD (but
doesn't backup the utilities to DVD).

How to backup or otherwise preserve the utilities in the hidden
partition, or the hidden partition itself? Other than clonezilla-ing
the current HD (which I am imaging now)--I would prefer a more
flexible response to future problems.

TIA, Tom Roche <[hidden email]>

Re: how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

James Knott
Tom Roche wrote:
> summary: W510 shipped with Vista, vendor upgraded to W7, to be dualbooted. How to preserve the rescue partition, or at least its functionality, JIC something goes wrong?

There should be a utility included to create a set of "Factory Recovery
Disks".  Failing that, I suppose you could just use dd to make a copy of
the recovery partition.  Also, don't worry about Linux clobbering that
partition.  Just shrink the Windows partition, using the included
(optional) Disk Management utility.  If it's not included on your
system, you'll have to use a Linux or 3rd party utility to shrink the
partition.

BTW, I installed openSUSE 12.1 on my ThinkPad Edge E520 that I bought
last month.  It works well.

Re: how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

Tom Roche

Tom Roche Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:01:06 -0500
>> W510 shipped with Vista, vendor upgraded to W7, to be dualbooted.
>> How to preserve the rescue partition, or at least its
>> functionality, JIC something goes wrong?

James Knott Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:18:59 -0500
> There should be a utility included to create a set of "Factory
> Recovery Disks".

Hmm: I'm not seeing it in R&R 4.31 on W7. Where should I be looking?

> Also, don't worry about Linux clobbering that partition. Just shrink
> the Windows partition, using the included (optional) Disk Management
> utility.

Actually I succeeded using the GParted included with the LMDE
(Linux Mint Debian Edition) installer. I repartitioned, adding
linux partitions after the original ones (sda1=R&R, sda2=W7).
After only repartitioning, I could not access R&R via F11 @ boot,
but after installing LMDE (including GRUB) I can boot GRUB menu
item="Windows Recovery Environment" which brings up "ThinkVantage
ImageUltra 5".

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <[hidden email]>

Re: Re: how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

Richard Neill-4

On 30/11/11 02:25, Tom Roche wrote:

> Tom Roche Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:01:06 -0500
>>> W510 shipped with Vista, vendor upgraded to W7, to be dualbooted.
>>> How to preserve the rescue partition, or at least its
>>> functionality, JIC something goes wrong?

For what it's worth, I wouldn't do it this way. If you ever need to use
the rescue partition, it will completely obliterate your existing
installation, your data, and your Linux partition, restoring it to
exactly as it left the factory. So, imho, the recovery partitions are
useless and I just delete them.

If you ever want to reinstall Windows, I think you're entitled to ask
the vendor to ship you a proper OEM Windows installation CD, which will
be better than the recovery partition. [This was the case last time I
checked, though that was several years back.]

The diagnostic utilities on the recovery partition are usually also
available elsewhere.

Should you ever need to send in your machine for service, and they say
"we don't support Linux, so go away", the best approach is "my data is
confidential; I am sending you the machine but I've taken out the disk".
Service agents seem much happier with the latter.

Best wishes,

Richard

Tom Roche wrote:
> James Knott Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:18:59 -0500
>
>> >  There should be a utility included to create a set of "Factory
>> >  Recovery Disks".
>>
> Hmm: I'm not seeing it in R&R 4.31 on W7. Where should I be looking?

It's in the Levovo ThinkVantage Tools.

Re: Re: how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

Jeffrey L. Taylor-9
Quoting Richard Neill <[hidden email]>:

> On 30/11/11 02:25, Tom Roche wrote:
> >
> >Tom Roche Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:01:06 -0500
> >

> For what it's worth, I wouldn't do it this way. If you ever need to
> use the rescue partition, it will completely obliterate your
> existing installation, your data, and your Linux partition,
> restoring it to exactly as it left the factory. So, imho, the
> recovery partitions are useless and I just delete them.
>
> If you ever want to reinstall Windows, I think you're entitled to
> ask the vendor to ship you a proper OEM Windows installation CD,
> which will be better than the recovery partition. [This was the case
> last time I checked, though that was several years back.]

My experience with earlier versions (circa a T41) is that the recovery
partition will replace the first partition.  The CDs of the same vintage
replaced the contents of the whole harddisk.  YMMV, check before doing
something drastic.

Jeffrey