how to trick a W540 or P70 into charging from a 90-110W power supply?

how to trick a W540 or P70 into charging from a 90-110W power supply?

marc_ltp
Both those laptops use a 170W power supply which is freaking huge, and also
means that I can't use any of the 10+ regular 20V lenovo 90-110W power supplies
I have at work and at home (AC, DC 12V, and laptop battery packs)

When I plug any of them into my P70, it will not discharge, but it will not
charge either.
Even if I shut down the laptop, or put it to sleep, it will not charge.
Yet, when I plug it in to keep it alive, it only uses about 25W from my 110W
power supply, so there is plenty of room to charge the battery, even if not
at full speed.

I'm not sure how the laptop detects the fact that I don't have a 170W power
supply, but I'd love to know a way to trick it into charging from a smaller
power supply.

Does anyone know of a way?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

Re: how to trick a W540 or P70 into charging from a 90-110W power supply?

Christoph Schmees
and what in particular relates that to linux?

Am 25.02.2016 um 00:45 schrieb Marc MERLIN:

> Both those laptops use a 170W power supply which is freaking huge, and also
> means that I can't use any of the 10+ regular 20V lenovo 90-110W power supplies
> I have at work and at home (AC, DC 12V, and laptop battery packs)
>
> When I plug any of them into my P70, it will not discharge, but it will not
> charge either.
> Even if I shut down the laptop, or put it to sleep, it will not charge.
> Yet, when I plug it in to keep it alive, it only uses about 25W from my 110W
> power supply, so there is plenty of room to charge the battery, even if not
> at full speed.
>
> I'm not sure how the laptop detects the fact that I don't have a 170W power
> supply, but I'd love to know a way to trick it into charging from a smaller
> power supply.
>
> Does anyone know of a way?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

best regards,
Christoph

--
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.

Thinkpad P70 (and P50) with linux report supply?

marc_ltp
Here is my report of the Thinkpad P70 with linux:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GnyBE1xc4qx3EF-IcUOwr7d9D8Npzy63Pwj-joOw86o/edit?usp=sharing
Nice 17" 4K screen. Now, I need to find out how to turn off the nvidia
chip when I'm not using it, and turn it on when I need to display on
HDMI or DP

But 5TB of storage in a laptop is sweet! :)

Hope this helps.

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 03:45:52PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Both those laptops use a 170W power supply which is freaking huge, and also
> means that I can't use any of the 10+ regular 20V lenovo 90-110W power supplies
> I have at work and at home (AC, DC 12V, and laptop battery packs)
>
> When I plug any of them into my P70, it will not discharge, but it will not
> charge either.
> Even if I shut down the laptop, or put it to sleep, it will not charge.
> Yet, when I plug it in to keep it alive, it only uses about 25W from my 110W
> power supply, so there is plenty of room to charge the battery, even if not
> at full speed.
>
> I'm not sure how the laptop detects the fact that I don't have a 170W power
> supply, but I'd love to know a way to trick it into charging from a smaller
> power supply.

Here is the fix:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linux/post_2016-02-29_Hacking-a-thinkpad-slim-tip-adapter-to-output-more-than-90W-_required-to-charge-a-Thinkpad-P70_.html