laptop mode

Macskasi Csaba
Hi!

I have a question about laptop-mode. I installed the debian laptop-mode
package and started the daemon (/etc/init.d/laptop-mode). After that I
unplugged my R50e to run from battery. I also executed "laptop-mode start"
successfully.
The problem is that the hd does not spind down at all. It is on all the
time.
I did not edit the default config because I think that all values were ok.
Someone any clues?

Thank you in advance,
Csaba

--
Macskasi Csaba
[hidden email]

Re: laptop mode

Jiang Qian
What happens if you do
hdparm -y /dev/hda
as root? Does HDD spin down then?
Jiang

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 11:28:39AM +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a question about laptop-mode. I installed the debian laptop-mode
> package and started the daemon (/etc/init.d/laptop-mode). After that I
> unplugged my R50e to run from battery. I also executed "laptop-mode start"
> successfully.
> The problem is that the hd does not spind down at all. It is on all the
> time.
> I did not edit the default config because I think that all values were ok.
> Someone any clues?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Csaba
>
> --
> Macskasi Csaba
> [hidden email]
> http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/

Re: laptop mode

Macskasi Csaba
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:30:28 +0100, Jiang Qian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What happens if you do
> hdparm -y /dev/hda
> as root? Does HDD spin down then?
> Jiang

Yes, it spins down with hdparm but because of the activity of the
filesystem it can't spin down compleatly. With the laptop-mode it does not
spin down at all.

Csaba

--
Macskasi Csaba
[hidden email]
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/

Re: laptop mode

Jiang Qian
What if you start laptop-mode, wait for about 30 seconds and then run
hdparm -y /dev/hda
does it stay down for the time specified in laptop-mode, which by
default is 600-30 about 9 minutes?
Qian Jiang

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 11:53:37AM +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:30:28 +0100, Jiang Qian <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >What happens if you do
> >hdparm -y /dev/hda
> >as root? Does HDD spin down then?
> >Jiang
>
> Yes, it spins down with hdparm but because of the activity of the
> filesystem it can't spin down compleatly. With the laptop-mode it does not
> spin down at all.
>
> Csaba
>
> --
> Macskasi Csaba
> [hidden email]
> http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/

Re: laptop mode

shorty-2
Try adding 'noatime' to your / fs in fstab.

Regards

Shorty

Re: laptop mode

Macskasi Csaba
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:55:21 +0100, Jiang Qian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What if you start laptop-mode, wait for about 30 seconds and then run
> hdparm -y /dev/hda
> does it stay down for the time specified in laptop-mode, which by
> default is 600-30 about 9 minutes?
> Qian Jiang
This way it stays down a litte longer (ca. 30sec) but not as long as
specified in the configfile.
The mount-option "noatime" has been added automatically by the laptop-mode.

Csaba
--
Macskasi Csaba
[hidden email]
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/

Re: laptop mode

Laurent Gilson
Hello

Try closing everything (MP3-Player, Browser, DB,...).

execute "sync" 2-3 secondes before hdparm.

And laptopmode only works well if you don't load stuff. Launching a
program will almost every time cause a spinup.

cu

Re: laptop mode

Noah Dain
On 12/4/05, Laurent Gilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Try closing everything (MP3-Player, Browser, DB,...).
>
> execute "sync" 2-3 secondes before hdparm.
>
> And laptopmode only works well if you don't load stuff. Launching a
> program will almost every time cause a spinup.
>
> cu

tried package "noflushd"?

--
Noah Dain

Re: laptop mode

Tino Keitel
On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 11:28:39 +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a question about laptop-mode. I installed the debian laptop-mode
> package and started the daemon (/etc/init.d/laptop-mode). After that I
> unplugged my R50e to run from battery. I also executed "laptop-mode start"
> successfully.

I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
down times:

mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
/etc/init.d/noflushd start

Of couse, you should adjust this to your file systems.

I use kernel 2.6.14 and ext3, and this setup gives me spin down times
up to a few hours. Maybe mounting with noatime could improve this, but
I don't want to criple my system just to get a little bit more battery
lifetime.

Regards,
Tino

Re: laptop mode

Macskasi Csaba
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:33:00 +0100, Tino Keitel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
> down times:
>
> mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
> mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
> mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
> mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
> mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
> /etc/init.d/noflushd start

Thank you! You made my day.

Csaba

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 15:24:01 +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:33:00 +0100, Tino Keitel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
> >down times:
> >
> >mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
> >mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
> >mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
> >mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
> >mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
> >/etc/init.d/noflushd start
>
> Thank you! You made my day.

Nice to hear this. If you discover any improvements to this method,
please let me know.

Regards,
Tino

Re: laptop mode

Michele Campeotto-2
> I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
> down times:

  if you look at /usr/sbin/laptop_mode, you'll see that it does just
that (among other things, like telling the kernel you want the full
laptop_mode), provided you set MAX_TIME=20000 in
/etc/laptop-mode/lapop-mode.conf

  mic

--
Michele Campeotto - www.micampe.it

It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
        -- Calvin

Re: laptop mode

wes schreiner
Tino Keitel wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 15:24:01 +0100, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:33:00 +0100, Tino Keitel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
>>>down times:
>>>
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /boot
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /usr
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /var
>>>mount -o remount,commit=20000 /home
>>>/etc/init.d/noflushd start
>>>

>>Thank you! You made my day.
>>

>Nice to hear this. If you discover any improvements to this method,
>please let me know.

I had overlooked the "commit" option, so I added this to my setup, all
ext3 partitions. I also have "noatime" set on all partitions. I mean,
what's the point of having atime set if the write out is delayed? I have
noflushd set to spin down the drive after 7 minutes of inactivity. Sure,
that could be more agressive, but my drive is already two years old so I
don't want to push it. This all seems to work very well.

wes

Re: laptop mode

Tino Keitel
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:59:33 +0100, Michele Campeotto wrote:
> > I don't use laptop-mode at all, but use this way to get acceptable spin
> > down times:
>
>   if you look at /usr/sbin/laptop_mode, you'll see that it does just
> that (among other things, like telling the kernel you want the full
> laptop_mode), provided you set MAX_TIME=20000 in
> /etc/laptop-mode/lapop-mode.conf

If I turn on /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode, spin down behaviour will be
lousy here. That's why I don't use it, appart from the fact that the
script does many things, but I just wanted to know what is neccessary
to get good spin down times.

Regards,
Tino