radeonfb swaps core and memory clock?

graziano-4
Hello,

I just noticed something weird on my T41 (radeon M9). radeonfb reports

kernel: radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=12) Memory=252.00 Mhz, System=200.00 MHz

but both rovclock (Core: 252.0 MHz, Mem: 200.25 MHz) and aticonfig (when
I used fglrx, I don't use them anylonger) reported the opposite: core 252
and memory 200.

Is it only on my machine? Is it a bug? I tried to trace it down in the
kernel, but my ability to read kernel code is close to NULL ....

graziano

Re: radeonfb swaps core and memory clock?

Paul RIVIER
obi wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just noticed something weird on my T41 (radeon M9). radeonfb reports
>
>kernel: radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=12) Memory=252.00 Mhz, System=200.00 MHz
>
>but both rovclock (Core: 252.0 MHz, Mem: 200.25 MHz) and aticonfig (when
>I used fglrx, I don't use them anylonger) reported the opposite: core 252
>and memory 200.
>
>Is it only on my machine? Is it a bug? I tried to trace it down in the
>kernel, but my ability to read kernel code is close to NULL ....
>
>graziano

Hi,
I do not know, but that reminds me something I wonder :
Does the radeonfb driver handle powerconsumption management facilities
in ati recent cards ?
Like ati/X handles it throught DynamicClock for exemple.
Actually I work a lot in emacs without X but I can not notice a big
difference in the power consumption,
while the load on the GPU should be much lower.

Does someone know something about that ?

Thanks

Paul

Re: radeonfb swaps core and memory clock?

Alex Deucher
On 12/9/05, Paul RIVIER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> obi wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I just noticed something weird on my T41 (radeon M9). radeonfb reports
> >
> >kernel: radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=12) Memory=252.00 Mhz, System=200.00 MHz
> >
> >but both rovclock (Core: 252.0 MHz, Mem: 200.25 MHz) and aticonfig (when
> >I used fglrx, I don't use them anylonger) reported the opposite: core 252
> >and memory 200.
> >
> >Is it only on my machine? Is it a bug? I tried to trace it down in the
> >kernel, but my ability to read kernel code is close to NULL ....
> >
> >graziano
> >

> Hi,
> I do not know, but that reminds me something I wonder :
> Does the radeonfb driver handle powerconsumption management facilities
> in ati recent cards ?
> Like ati/X handles it throught DynamicClock for exemple.
> Actually I work a lot in emacs without X but I can not notice a big
> difference in the power consumption,
> while the load on the GPU should be much lower.
>
> Does someone know something about that ?

radeonfb does (or did at least) have some dynamicclocks code, but it
might only be enabled on ppc.  in fact that's where I initially got
the code to add dynamicclocks to X (ati later gave me some improved
code).

Alex

> Thanks
>

> Paul

Re: radeonfb swaps core and memory clock?

Paul RIVIER

>radeonfb does (or did at least) have some dynamicclocks code, but it
>might only be enabled on ppc.  in fact that's where I initially got
>the code to add dynamicclocks to X (ati later gave me some improved
>code).
>
>Alex

Hi,
thanks for that, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean "ppc".
Thank you for your light

paul

Re: radeonfb swaps core and memory clock?

Alex Deucher
On 12/9/05, Paul RIVIER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >radeonfb does (or did at least) have some dynamicclocks code, but it
> >might only be enabled on ppc.  in fact that's where I initially got
> >the code to add dynamicclocks to X (ati later gave me some improved
> >code).
> >
> >Alex
> >

> Hi,
> thanks for that, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean "ppc".
> Thank you for your light

Sorry, PowerPC.

Alex

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:52:55PM +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:

> >radeonfb does (or did at least) have some dynamicclocks code, but it
> >might only be enabled on ppc.  in fact that's where I initially got
> >the code to add dynamicclocks to X (ati later gave me some improved
> >code).
> >
> >Alex
> >

> Hi,
> thanks for that, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean "ppc".
> Thank you for your light

ppc = powerpc (apple machinces with G3/G4/G5)

I assume that radeonfb still have dynami clock enable: this is what I got
when booting

Dec  6 22:13:16 localhost kernel: radeonfb: Dynamic Clock Power Management enabled

graziano