thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

heroxbd
Hi,

I could not figure out how to register thinkwiki.  Is it a feature to
disable registration (to fight spam?), or is the function broken?

I refer to thinkwiki a lot, and this time want to report an unofficial
max mem[1] configuration:

Thinkpad: x200s 7465-RH6
official max: 4GB
unofficial max: 8GB
BIOS: 2.08
Embedded Controller: 1.04
Memory configuration successfully tested:
2 x 4GB SP008GBSTU133V22

Is the administrator of thinkwiki lurking around the list? Please help.
Otherwise could someone with a thinkwiki account kindly help me add this
information to the page[1]?

Cheers,
Benda

1. http://www.thinkwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs

Re: thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

rappard
> I could not figure out how to register thinkwiki. Is it a feature to
> disable registration (to fight spam?), or is the function broken?

I think the former (i.e., anti-spam).

> I refer to thinkwiki a lot, and this time want to report an unofficial
> max mem[1] configuration:
>
> Thinkpad: x200s 7465-RH6
> official max: 4GB
> unofficial max: 8GB

Thanks, been thinking about getting an X200(s).

Semi-thread hijack: what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
open-source virtualization software (KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, ...)
somewhat decently/non-sluggishly? 8 GB? I probably won't run more than
one VM at the same time.

--Martin

Re: thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

Rubin Abdi
This particular thread might be of some use to you...

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2012-July/050892.html

--
Rubin

Re: thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

David Griffith-5
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Rubin Abdi wrote:

> This particular thread might be of some use to you...
>
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2012-July/050892.html

I was confused at first by the reference to a post of mine, so I went
ahead and added the information to
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs

I don't know what the deal is about why registration isn't working.

--
David Griffith

David Griffith <[hidden email]> writes:

> I was confused at first by the reference to a post of mine, so I went
> ahead and added the information to
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs

Thanks David.  Such a pleasure to see my configuration in the table.

I've also sent an registration request to akw, the wiki admin.

Cheers,
Benda

Re: thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

Lars Wirzenius
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 01:55:42PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Semi-thread hijack: what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
> open-source virtualization software (KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, ...)
> somewhat decently/non-sluggishly? 8 GB? I probably won't run more than
> one VM at the same time.

You need, in practice, about as much memory as you need to use the
virtualisation host normally, plus the RAM of each virtual machine
guest. If that's more than your physical RAM, it will work, but be
very slow, due to excessive swapping.

I used to run, on an X200s with 8 GiB RAM, five virtual machines with
1 GiB RAM each, leaving two GiB for the host (desktop, various
terminal windows, e-mail, etc; web browser was too much). It was not
great, but it worked well enough. Only one of the VMs was doing any
serious work (it was a continuous integration system: the VM doing
work was running a build-and-test, while the rest were idle).

--
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers
http://obnam.org/ -- HAVE YOU BACKED UP TODAY?

Re: thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

Stefan Monnier
> Semi-thread hijack: what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
> open-source virtualization software (KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, ...)
> somewhat decently/non-sluggishly?

I've run a VM on a 1GB box, and it was running very decently (i.e. not
noticeably slower than if it ran directly on the hardware).

        Stefan

Re: thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

heroxbd
Hi rappard,

[hidden email] writes:

>> Thinkpad: x200s 7465-RH6
>> official max: 4GB
>> unofficial max: 8GB
>>
> Thanks, been thinking about getting an X200(s).
>
> Semi-thread hijack: what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
> open-source virtualization software (KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, ...)
> somewhat decently/non-sluggishly? 8 GB? I probably won't run more than
> one VM at the same time.

I don't run VM on laptop much.  They are on remote powerful servers.
The main motivation for upgrading the RAM is that the original 1GB was
not enough for firefox since 2014.  Consequently the web became the
bottleneck of my work flow.

To the point, I agree with Lars, quoted "You need, in practice, about as