trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

dave

While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding, as
did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows no PS/2
keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows that the
psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if somehow these got
turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then rebooted again, and turned
them back on again.  I removed the hard drive and inserted a Windows 7
hard drive I keep around for when I need to use Windows on this laptop.
Still nothing.  All this while, the keyboard has continued to function as
expected.

What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?

--
David Griffith
[hidden email]

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Re: trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

Christoph Schmees
Am 26.08.2017 um 13:38 schrieb David Griffith:

> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding, as
> did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows no PS/2
> keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows that the
> psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if somehow these got
> turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then rebooted again, and turned
> them back on again.  I removed the hard drive and inserted a Windows 7
> hard drive I keep around for when I need to use Windows on this laptop.
> Still nothing.  All this while, the keyboard has continued to function as
> expected.
>
> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?

Southbridge failed due to overheating? Is USB still functioning? How
is air flow: little and very hot? Just my shot into the blue ...

Re: trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

DI Florian Reitmeir
Am 26.08.2017 um 13:38 schrieb David Griffith:

> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding,
> as did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows
> no PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows
> that the psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if
> somehow these got turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then
> rebooted again, and turned them back on again.  I removed the hard
> drive and inserted a Windows 7 hard drive I keep around for when I
> need to use Windows on this laptop. Still nothing.  All this while,
> the keyboard has continued to function as expected.
>
> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?

a loose cable? did you remove the keyboard to look at the cables?

--
Dipl.-Inf. Florian Reitmeir | Pradlerstr 29a - Top 13 | 6020 Innsbruck
+43 670 6051903 | PGP E3F7 DDFB 7CEB 121B 156A D11F F22E DEC8 6317 5E70

Re: trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

Christoph Schmees-3
Am 26.08.2017 um 13:38 schrieb David Griffith:

> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding, as
> did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows no PS/2
> keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows that the
> psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if somehow these got
> turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then rebooted again, and turned
> them back on again.  I removed the hard drive and inserted a Windows 7
> hard drive I keep around for when I need to use Windows on this laptop.
> Still nothing.  All this while, the keyboard has continued to function as
> expected.
>
> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?

Southbridge failed due to overheating? Is USB still functioning? How
is air flow: little and very hot? Just my shot into the blue ...

Re: trackpoint, touchpad, and buttons suddenly dead

Andreas Ronnquist-2
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:38:11 +0000 (UTC),
David Griffith<[hidden email]> wrote:

>While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding,
>as did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows
>no PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows
>that the psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if
>somehow these got turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then
>rebooted again, and turned them back on again.  I removed the hard
>drive and inserted a Windows 7 hard drive I keep around for when I
>need to use Windows on this laptop. Still nothing.  All this while,
>the keyboard has continued to function as expected.
>
>What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?

I run into the same problem quite often with my T420 - but I
probably don't notice it as much, since I most often use Synergy [1]
for my mouse and keyboard on the laptop. As in your case, when I run
into this, a reboot isn't enough to get it working, but I do get the
touchpad and the other stuff working when I put the computer into
hibernate, and get it back up.

1: https://symless.com/synergy

-- Andreas Rönnquist

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Andreas Ronnquist wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:38:11 +0000 (UTC),
> David Griffith<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding,
>> as did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows
>> no PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows
>> that the psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if
>> somehow these got turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then
>> rebooted again, and turned them back on again.  I removed the hard
>> drive and inserted a Windows 7 hard drive I keep around for when I
>> need to use Windows on this laptop. Still nothing.  All this while,
>> the keyboard has continued to function as expected.
>>
>> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?
>
> I run into the same problem quite often with my T420 - but I
> probably don't notice it as much, since I most often use Synergy [1]
> for my mouse and keyboard on the laptop. As in your case, when I run
> into this, a reboot isn't enough to get it working, but I do get the
> touchpad and the other stuff working when I put the computer into
> hibernate, and get it back up.
>
> 1: https://symless.com/synergy

Hibernation and back doesn't help.  I'm thinking the motherboard is slowly
dying.  I've had unexplained freezes for several months now, which I
suspect are related.

--
David Griffith
[hidden email]

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Christoph Schmees wrote:

> Am 26.08.2017 um 13:38 schrieb David Griffith:
>>
>> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding, as
>> did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows no PS/2
>> keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows that the
>> psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if somehow these got
>> turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then rebooted again, and turned
>> them back on again.  I removed the hard drive and inserted a Windows 7
>> hard drive I keep around for when I need to use Windows on this laptop.
>> Still nothing.  All this while, the keyboard has continued to function as
>> expected.
>>
>> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?
>
> Southbridge failed due to overheating? Is USB still functioning? How
> is air flow: little and very hot? Just my shot into the blue ...

Southbridge seems fine as far as heat and ventilation goes.  I blew out
the gunk three months ago, and there wasn't much.  USB still functions
fine.  I'm going to replace the motherboard.  It'll be cheap enough and I
still like the T420's keyboard too much.

--
David Griffith
[hidden email]

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Am 27.08.2017 um 01:34 schrieb David Griffith:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Andreas Ronnquist wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:38:11 +0000 (UTC),
>> David Griffith<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> While I was using my T420, the touchpad suddenly stopped responding,
>>> as did the mouse buttons and trackpoint.  The output of xinput shows
>>> no PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface available.  The output of lsmod shows
>>> that the psmouse module is unused.  I checked the BIOS to see if
>>> somehow these got turned off.  I turned them off, rebooted, then
>>> rebooted again, and turned them back on again.  I removed the hard
>>> drive and inserted a Windows 7 hard drive I keep around for when I
>>> need to use Windows on this laptop. Still nothing.  All this while,
>>> the keyboard has continued to function as expected.
>>>
>>> What could have caused the ps/2 mouse interface to fail like this?
>>
>> I run into the same problem quite often with my T420 - but I
>> probably don't notice it as much, since I most often use Synergy [1]
>> for my mouse and keyboard on the laptop. As in your case, when I run
>> into this, a reboot isn't enough to get it working, but I do get the
>> touchpad and the other stuff working when I put the computer into
>> hibernate, and get it back up.
>>
>> 1: https://symless.com/synergy
>
> Hibernation and back doesn't help.  I'm thinking the motherboard is
> slowly dying.  I've had unexplained freezes for several months now,
> which I suspect are related.

I had same issues on a X260 with Windows.. and it turned out, that an
sd-card was in the card-reader which cases the troubles.
Freezing, Hibernation/Suspend Problems.

--
Dipl.-Inf. Florian Reitmeir | Pradlerstr 29a - Top 13 | 6020 Innsbruck
+43 670 6051903 | PGP E3F7 DDFB 7CEB 121B 156A D11F F22E DEC8 6317 5E70

Z61T upgrade

bhaskins

I like my Z61T because it's not much larger than a big pad but it still
has the Thinkpad keyboard.
The one I have is showing its age and I'm looking for a more recent one
with a led screen that still has the good keyboard and Trackpoint.
I will buy a good used one.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
   Bert