unstable after undervolting

Macskasi Csaba
Hi!

Last week I tried to undervolt my Pentium M 1,8ghz processor -
successfully. Now it is working at 600mhz and 700mV. It was looking stable
for one week. Yesterday mount (yes, _mount_) exited with a "nice"
segfault, today while reading my mails the thinkpad just rebooted.
Could be the undervolting the problem? Or eventually something else? ram?
Has anyone experienced the same?

Yours,
Csaba

--
Macskassy Csaba
[hidden email]

Re: unstable after undervolting

Paul RIVIER
Macskassy Csaba wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Last week I tried to undervolt my Pentium M 1,8ghz processor -
> successfully. Now it is working at 600mhz and 700mV. It was looking
> stable  for one week. Yesterday mount (yes, _mount_) exited with a
> "nice"  segfault, today while reading my mails the thinkpad just
> rebooted.
> Could be the undervolting the problem? Or eventually something else?
> ram?  Has anyone experienced the same?
>
> Yours,
> Csaba

hi
it is probably an undervolting problem. 700 is too low, even if you can
set it without freezing, that just does not mean that it is stable.
I use to be at 700 on my T42 but I went back to 716 because of unstability.

paul

Re: unstable after undervolting

Damien Challet
> it is probably an undervolting problem. 700 is too low, even if you can
> set it without freezing, that just does not mean that it is stable.
> I use to be at 700 on my T42 but I went back to 716 because of unstability.

Confirmed: 700 is too low on a T41p.

Re: unstable after undervolting

Marcus Hagn
Prime95 is a good program to test the stability. Let it run at least
24 hours and see if it finds any stability problems. I had cases where
a stability problem was detected after 20 hours of stable activities.
If you have found a stable point increase the voltage by one
additional step to account for any temperature effects, and than you
system should be stable.

Regards
Marcus

On 12/9/05, Paul RIVIER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Macskassy Csaba wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Last week I tried to undervolt my Pentium M 1,8ghz processor -
> > successfully. Now it is working at 600mhz and 700mV. It was looking
> > stable  for one week. Yesterday mount (yes, _mount_) exited with a
> > "nice"  segfault, today while reading my mails the thinkpad just
> > rebooted.
> > Could be the undervolting the problem? Or eventually something else?
> > ram?  Has anyone experienced the same?
> >
> > Yours,
> > Csaba
> >
> hi
> it is probably an undervolting problem. 700 is too low, even if you can
> set it without freezing, that just does not mean that it is stable.
> I use to be at 700 on my T42 but I went back to 716 because of unstability.
>
> paul

Re: unstable after undervolting

graziano-4
On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 11:55:22AM +0000, Damien Challet wrote:
> > it is probably an undervolting problem. 700 is too low, even if you can
> > set it without freezing, that just does not mean that it is stable.
> > I use to be at 700 on my T42 but I went back to 716 because of unstability.
>
> Confirmed: 700 is too low on a T41p.

On this line, how low con you go on an old 1.4 Banias in a T41? I don't
seem to be able to go lower than 844 ...

Re: unstable after undervolting

Macskasi Csaba
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:55:22 +0100, Damien Challet
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Confirmed: 700 is too low on a T41p.
I think that only the type of the processor matters. Imho the model of the
thinkpad is not significant. (example: my "low end" R50e has a Pentium M
1,8ghz processor while many T-laptops have older processors / cpus with
lower frequencies and lower power consumption)

Regards,
Csaba

--
Macskassy Csaba
[hidden email]
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/

Re: unstable after undervolting

James Knott
Macskassy Csaba wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Last week I tried to undervolt my Pentium M 1,8ghz processor -
> successfully. Now it is working at 600mhz and 700mV. It was looking
> stable  for one week. Yesterday mount (yes, _mount_) exited with a
> "nice"  segfault, today while reading my mails the thinkpad just rebooted.
> Could be the undervolting the problem? Or eventually something else?
> ram?  Has anyone experienced the same?

When you change the operating parameters, you will often compromise
stability and reliability.  Put it back the way it was and see what happens.

Marcus Hagn wrote:

>Prime95 is a good program to test the stability. Let it run at least
>24 hours and see if it finds any stability problems. I had cases where
>a stability problem was detected after 20 hours of stable activities.
>If you have found a stable point increase the voltage by one
>additional step to account for any temperature effects, and than you
>system should be stable.
>
>Regards
>Marcus

exactly what I would recommand as well. Setting the really bottom can be
stable for 95% of the time, but can crash because of temperature efects,
or sudent scaling. So bottom stable + 16 is IMHO the best choice.
My settings : T42 / Dothan 1.7 Ghz : 716 mv for 600 Mhz

paul